3 Secrets to Reversing YOUR Biological Age￼
Would you like to look and feel 10 years younger?
In episode #56 of the Self-Care Goddess podcast, Larisa Petrini, age reversal expert and epigenetics specialist talks about some tips that women can adopt to turn back the clock 10 years. Today, hundreds of high-achieving women want to get back in shape, overcome chronic fatigue, solve dry, sagging skin and deal with moods and hormonal imbalances. In this podcast episode, Larisa shares with us 3 secrets that have helped and continue to help her and her clients age gracefully. We also talked about mindset, habit acquisition and how making time for Self-Care are all important considerations in the aging process.
According to Larisa, there are two types of aging:
- Intrinsic aging. This has to do with genetics, food, sleep and lifestyle factors.
- Extrinsic aging. This has to do with toxins and sun exposure. Exposure to sun is the #1 culprit responsible for accelerated aging. Larisa recommends to use SPF 50 everyday to protect our skin from the sun.
The following information are just a few of the golden nuggets from our insightful conversation. Listen to the entire episode for more details and additional information.
Sleep is a force multiplier. Good sleep is not only about the number of hours but also the quality of sleep. Aging accelerates in our 40s and we start to lose some hormones, muscle mass and bone shape & strength. Here are some pointers discussed in my podcast to help you sleep better:
- Go to bed early. If we sleep at 1am or 2am, we don’t get the same quality of sleep. There are certain hormones that are released between 10pm to 2am, called the prime-time interval of our body when the human growth / youth hormone is released. If we want to stay young and have glowing skin we must be in bed by 10PM.
- What happens at the cellular level is important to slow down the aging process. During sleep our lymphatic or perivascular system is responsible for functional waste clearance. In order for this process to be efficient while we are awake, our brain cells are shrinking by 60% so good sleep helps us flush out toxins without damaging our brain cells.
- After 24 hours of sleep deprivation, we have 60% less glucose in our brain. The next day we crave those simple carbohydrates like candy, chips, donuts or junk food including starchy, sugary things because our body is trying to get back that lost glucose, it’s our survival mechanism.
- Stay away from screens at least 2-3 hours before bedtime so that our body has the opportunity to produce enough melatonin. The blue light coming from screens, inhibits the production of melatonin. The more we stay in front of the screens or on social media using our phone or binge watch Netflix, the less melatonin we get and also the quality of melatonin is different when we over expose ourselves to the screens.
- Being exposed to natural light first thing in the morning is super beneficial for both for sleep and weight loss.
Episode #53, “Everything YOU Need To Know About Melatonin: Beyond A Sleep Aid” Scott Bayer shares some amazing tips for good sleep, on the Self-Care Goddess Podcast.
Why do people wake up in the middle of the night?
Most midlife women complain that they wake up for no apparent reason. But there is always a reason! Sometimes it’s melatonin. We get ‘melatonin injections’ as Larisa calls them; around 10pm and this is the reason why timing our sleep is so important. Sometimes, especially for women this happens when hormones are imbalanced. For entrepreneurs it could be a combination of factors like stress, not being able to unwind and calm the nervous system and no bedtime routine. 94% of those with sleep challenges have issues related to lifestyle factors like diet, hormones that are out of balance, stress and the inability to manage stress. Other factors include constantly working late and not being able to have a predictable routine. According to Larisa, 7PM should be the last hour when we eat, then we have 3 hours to process the food and prepare for sleep. At 8PM, close all the screens and around 10PM definitely go to bed. At 8PM when we close the screens, that would be the ideal time to take a walk, shower or have a cup of tea instead of binge watching. Strive to do this 80% of the time. Another important factor that could be the culprit waking up in the middle of the night is the temperature and humidity in the bedroom. We need cool temperatures when we sleep and stay asleep and the level of humidity should be between 30% and 50%.
Watch my YouTube video 80/20 Rule for Productivity.
Anti-Aging Skin Care Routine
Interestingly, Larisa argues that 70% of the way our skin looks has to do with what’s on our plate. Sleep and nutrition are important factors for a glowing skin. There is a very important link between gut and skin. Our gut is the control center of our entire body. Anything that goes wrong in the gut will cause symptoms all over our body and it will show as issues and problems on our face sooner or later. So, if we want to beat premature aging, we need to take care of our gut and pay attention to what’s going on our plate.
Read my blog post “10 AYURVEDA Tips for a Healthy Gut”.
Foods For Skincare
Greens and healthy fats are amazing foods for skincare. Staying focused on the rainbow is the best way we can do that. We should avoid processed foods. The easiest way to remember harmful foods for our skin and body are to avoid the ‘whites’: sugar, white flour, dairy products, salt. Larisa argues to stay away from these pro-inflammatory foods and instead opt for colourful fruits and veggies. Proteins are important because we lose muscle mass as we age in our 40s and beyond. One way to keep muscle is to consume enough protein. How much protein? According to Larisa, an easy formula is one gram of protein per pound of body weight. If we focus on ensuring we have protein and greens and veggies in every meal, we will have lesser sugar cravings and unhealthy snacking in between meals.
Connect with me and I can guide you on your yoga journey. Watch me demonstrate sun salutations on my YouTube channel.
Check out Sarah’s non-negotiable self-care habits for balancing hormones, check out the details on my Instagram or Facebook page.
Take Home Message
Move to the basics as much as you can and focus on whole foods. Larisa, encourages you to get eight hours of sleep, be in nature for some time during the day and unwind before. Instead of saying I’m experiencing midlife crisis, say, I’m experiencing midlife creation. Think about midlife as something that we create or as a way to reinvent ourselves.
Listen to the full podcast episode #56 with Larisa Petrini on the Self-Care Goddess Podcast.
- Book a Free discovery call a free discovery. https://connectwithlarisa.com/
- Download the free guide a free resource on age reversal secrets you can implement. https://tenyearsback.com/
www.keepglowing.com. Announce our upcoming free master classes. Sign up for those classes
I look forward to connecting with you and learning more about your story and your health and wellness goals. Schedule a FREE introduction call here.